Search The FilmMasons archive

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Filmmason Interview - Sean Whalen



The filmmason: Sean, it’s a great pleasure to get to talk to you and thank you so much for taking the time to answer some questions today.

Sean Whalen:  No problem.  Thanks for thinking of me.

TF: With a career starting in 1990 as a fast food manager on an episode of the Ferris Bueller TV show, to shows such as, Grace Under Fire, Friends, Lois & Clark, La Femme Nikkita or even Nash Bridges. As an actor, how do you approach each new role and keep it unique?

SW: Well, being a character actor you do get to do all kinds of roles.  Luckily I had training in comedy and drama.  The truth is you can only come up with what you find interesting in the character as written.  It all starts with the script and then you bring yourself to each role.  I had coaches for the first several years of auditioning to teach me what  to look for in a script and help me avoid some of my personal bad habits.  Then after a while you grow more mature and hone your instincts and trust that they work for each role.  The uniqueness comes from the script and your life experiences.

TF: The first film I saw that you were a huge part of was, People Under The Stairs. Roach was an amazing character to watch, take us through a typical day on set for you?

SW: I would get to the set, change into my rags, then go straight to make up, where Michelle Buhler and Denise Dellavalle would do my make up and slowly and painstakingly put on my finger extensions.  Then Barabara Olvera, did my hair.  It was these three super cool women giving you attention for a couple hours… not bad!  Then I would wait in my dressing room until needed.  Then whatever I shot that day would be purely reactive as I had no lines due to my tongue being cut out.  I would pop in the prosthetic cut off tongue and go for it.  The prosthetic kept me from talking so I could react doing improv lines but you would never understand me due to the prosthetic.  We s was always calm, kind, and quiet.  Made my first feature film experience a blast.

TF: Moving from Wes Craven on to Tim Burton in Batman Returns, in the small but recognizable
role of the paperboy. Apart from Michael Gough, did you get to meet any of the other cast?  

SW: Unfortunately, no.  Minor players, but no scenes with the biggies.  Michael and I had a day where we flubbed our lines for an hour.  Tim was super cool and realized it was the writing… not us.  When he changed it, we were good.

TF: Sean, I feel I know you well enough now to let you in on a little secret. I really like Waterworld. You played a character called Bone, how was your experience on the set, was there as much gossip about the film on set as there was in the press? 

SW: Whenever you are on a set, you are isolated from media coverage and gossip.  You are there to do a job and you just do it.  It was a blast.  I got to bring my wife and we had a week vacation in Hawaii.  They had me do jetski training for a whole half a day.  Well it took me five minutes to learn it as I had done it before and then I had the rest of the day to jetski as wildly as I wanted.  Couldn’t ruin it because it was supposed to be post apocalyptic anyway! 

TF: 1996 brought us Twister with Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton. Did you get to see the finished film before the public, or did you see it for the first time with an audience? 

SW: Due to the special effects we saw it for the first time at the premiere.  It was so overwhelming.  There was four months of your life onscreen.  When it was over, I remember Helen and I leaning forward at the same time and we caught each other down the row.  She said, “Either that was the worst thing I have ever seen or the coolest.  I can’t tell yet.”  I responded, “That’s exactly how I feel.”  

TF: Your body of acting work is spread even across film and TV in almost every genre, in a perfect world what would be the project of a lifetime for you? 

SW: I think being on a television show with a great crew and cast doing comedy.  With a lot of improvisation as well.  There is nothing like a director yelling ,”Cut” and hearing the cast and crew bust out laughing because you were so funny.

FM: Of course you don’t just limit yourself to acting, you also write and direct,  do you find working with such a wide range of amazingly talented directors and writers has inspired you to pursue these areas?  

SW: Yes, and also the reality of the business.  It’s changing so much that to just be an actor these days is sometimes not enough.  I remember why I got into this business and that was for two reasons that had nothing to do with performing.  It was to meet new people and to do different projects.  I can fulfil that with all aspects of entertainment.  I’m now producing as well.  A good friend has told me for years I would be great at it… now I know what he means!  Lol

FM: Which role of yours stands out as the one you are most recognised for?  

SW: Roach, from PUTS and the AARON BURR milk commercial directed by Michael Bay.

FM: So what do your fans have to look forward to in future, where can we go to see more Sean?

SW: Well, I am starting to go out on the convention circuit, so I’ll get to meet them finally in person.  Also, I am writing, producing and starring in some video shorts that I post every month and I have a couple of features that I am doing the same.  Currently I am in the film THE FP which just got released in the states and am shooting two films this month.  WET AND RECKLESS a comedy with Lucas Till (X Men First Class) and SMALL TIME with Chris Malone (LAW AND ORDER: SVU) and directed by Joes Surnow, creator of the TV show 24.

FM: Sean, I think I’ve stolen enough of your time today, I really appreciate the time you have spent  with us today, your fans and I can’t wait to see where you pop up next.

SW: Hey, I’m flattered you wanted the interview..  Sometimes I still feel like the little dorky kid from Maryland or the suburban father and husband, so when someone thinks of me, it’s flattering.  Keep your eyes peeled.  I will be doing some more cool stuff in the future.  Thanks and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment